Friday, April 06, 2018

April 6, 2018 … Empathy Shared

Berry Patch Devotions in 2017 - Day 96 

Devotional Song: … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of song and lyrics from Michael W Smith singing singing the Simon & Garfunkel classic… Bridge Over Troubled Waters … poignantly singing of we can be a comfort to others in their times of trouble simply by sharing life with empathy.


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 [NLT] … 3 All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort. 4 He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us. 
… We can be God’s source of comfort for the troubled heart by sharing our empathy with a troubled soul.
==============
Highlight Passage [context]:2 Corinthians 1:1-10 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… Paul shows Christians how our suffering when shared with others experiencing troubles can be a “bridge over troubled waters” as is sung in the linked song above.
=============

Reference Passage : … Matthew 11:28-30 [NLT] …USE THIS LINK
… Jesus desires to give us rest by helping to carry our burdens … just like we can do for others when we’re willing to help them carry their troubles.

Reference Passage : … John 20:21 [NLT] … 21 Again He said, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent Me, so I am sending you.” 
… God often gives us the opportunity to share His peace with others from a heart of empathy.

Reference Passage : … 1 Peter 5:7 [NLT] … 7 Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you. 
… God desires that we give our cares over to Him; and when we do that for others we are sharing the empathy God’s Spirit has for us.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, James Banks, shares a very personal story of being able to help someone he’d never met by sharing openly from an empathetic heart. … The ODB author wrote: “God sent you to me tonight!” 
Those were the parting words from the woman standing in front of me as we exited our flight to Chicago. She had sat across the aisle from me, where I learned she was headed home after several flights in a round-trip that day. “Do you mind if I ask why you had such a quick turnaround?” I inquired. She glanced downward: “I just put my daughter in rehab for drug abuse today.” 
In the moments that followed I gently shared the story of my son’s struggle with heroin addiction and how Jesus had set him free. As she listened, a smile broke through her tears. After the plane landed we prayed together before parting, asking God to break her daughter’s chains. 

Have you ever run into someone you’d never met, perhaps on an airline as in the photo, where the stranger was willing to share their troubles, needing a caring heart to listen; and you were able to share an empathetic/listening spirit with them, being a bridge over troubled waters as is sung in the linked song? …

I have on several occasions; and it’s a heart-warming experience that I can only describe as a “God-thing!” But when we’re willing to listen to the troubles of others, especially fellow Christians, God often will pair us with someone who’s troubles are close enough to our past trials that we can listen with a loving heart and share our story of how God helped carry our load (see see Reference Scriptures above).

Perhaps God will give us such a glorious appointment today. Let’s be aware and share His love if/when He does.

=============
My THANKFULNESS: … Oh Lord, Jesus, thank You for my past trials which give me empathy to share Your love with others.
 =============

My Prayer Today: Abba Father, … King Jesus, … Precious Spirit … Help me to be alert/aware of the challenges of others where I can be a loving listener and an empathetic heart. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled “Our Daily Bread,” distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: