Thursday, April 09, 2020

April 9, 2020 … Really? Surrender Everything!!

Berry Patch Devotions in 2020 - Day 100 

Devotional Song: ... GO TO THIS LINK ...  Please take the time to take in images, song and lyrics from Robin Mark singing the old hymn I Surrender All … poignantly singing of how all Christians must surrender all of ourselves to follow Jesus in this life into the next. Can we really sing along with this song of self surrender?

I Surrender All !!

=============
Highlight Verse[s]: Mark 10:27-28 [ESV] ...    27 Jesus looked at them [His Disciples] and said, “With man it is impossible, but not with God. For all things are possible with God.” 28 Peter began to say to him, “See, we have left everything and followed you.”  
… At least for a moment, Peter, and perhaps others of the 12 Disciples following Jesus, realized what was being demanded of them.
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: Mark 10:17-31 [ESV] ... USE THIS LINK ...
… After seeing how difficult it was for the “Rich Young Ruler” to give up his wealth to follow Jesus, they had to realize that this was what they would have to surrender to continue to follow Jesus. 
==============

Reference Passage : … Luke 9:23 [ESV] … 23 And He said to all, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. …” 
… Jesus demands no less than complete self denial in order to follow Him and deal with life’s circumstances.

Reference Passage : … John 14:21 [ESV] …   21 Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.”  
… Obedience to Jesus’ commands is what He commands of all who would follow Him.

Reference Passage : … Romans 8:28 [ESV] … 28 And we know that, for those who love God, all things work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose. 
… Yes, this is true … no matter what we’re going thru!!

Reference Passage : … Romans 12:1 [ESV] … 1 I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. 
… Only when we’re willing to sacrifice our selves - all of ourselves - are we capable of true worship of our Lord.

Reference Passage : … Galatians 2:20 [ESV] … 20 I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 
… When we’re willing to die to self and give up ALL of ourselves, that’s when Jesus can live in and thru our lives.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Amy Boucher Pye, tells of two Christian evangelists who were willing to give up successful artistic careers to follow God’s call on their lives, … i.e., to share the Gospel with the lost world. … The ODB author wrote: Two men remembered for serving others for Jesus left careers in the arts to commit themselves to where they believed God had called them. James O. Fraser (1886–1938) decided not to pursue being a concert pianist in England to serve the Lisu people in China, while the American Judson Van DeVenter (1855–1939) chose to become an evangelist instead of pursuing a career in art. He later wrote the hymn “I Surrender All.” [see linked song] 

And in these confusing and challenging viral times we are going thru, when I took in the ODB entry, the linked song, and the Bible passages above, I was convicted to realize that I, like many these days, lean toward fearful self control, rather than realizing the truth that the Apostle Paul came to experience and teach (see passages from Romans and Galatians above).

And it all comes down to whether we really believe - and are willing to follow - the teachings of Jesus (see the highlight and red-letter verses above). So, … unlike the so-called rich young man in the Mark 10 passage, are we willing to do what Jesus commanded of His disciples, … i.e., to surrender our selves completely and follow Him? Because when - AND IF - we are able to do that, Jesus can - AND WILL - manifest Himself in our lives (see John 14:21).

I’m up for that, … how about you?

=============
My THANKFULNESS: ... Oh Abba Father, ... thank You, Lord, … for Your challenge to give up my self and follow You.
=============

My Prayer Today: Oh Abba Father, ... King Jesus, ... I pray, Lord, that all reading here will join me to do all we can to surrender all we are to follow our Lord. Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled “Our Daily Bread,” distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.</ span>

No comments: