Friday, December 12, 2014

December 12, 2014 … “Snug As a Bug In A Rug!”

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2014 - Day 346.

Devotional Song: Go to this link  … Once again, please take take in a contemporary song, sung by Cece Winans, Blessed Assurance, … calling all Christians to have the blessed assurance of our salvation in Christ

[To read text, click on graphic - click "X" to return to blog]

Highlight Passage #1 - NKJV Psalm 91: 9-10 … The Lord’s promise of security in our relationship with Him …
  9 Because you have made the Lord, who is my refuge, Even the Most High, your dwelling place, 10 No evil shall befall you, … Nor shall any plague come near your dwelling; … 
============
Highlight Context – Psalms 91 [NKJV]USE THIS LINK …   Always safety for the obedient remnant of believers
============

Reference Passage #1 - NKJV Psalm 4: 8 … Secured in Christ forever …
8 I will both lie down in peace, and sleep; 
For You alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety. 

Reference Passage #2 - NKJV Matthew 4: 5-7 … GO TO THIS LINK …   Satan distorts God’s word [from Psalm 91: 11-12] to tempt Jesus; and is rebuked by God in the flesh by using the Sword of the Spirit against the enemy …

Reference Passage #3 - NKJV 1st Corinthians 10: 13 … Assurance of dealing with life’s temptations and trials …
  13 No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it. 

My Journal for Today: Today’s Our Daily Bread devotional entry, authored by David Roper, begins with a scenario which reminded me of a time when I used to stay with my grandparents in their home in Indiana. With them, I slept in their furnished attic which had no heating; and in the winter it would get VERY cold; but my grandmother used to put old baked potatoes wrapped in towels at the foot of my bed; and when she tucked me in, she would say, “You’re as ‘snug as a bug in a rug!’ “ … So when Roper used that phrase in the title of his devotional (which I’ve appropriated today for mine), he reminded me of how secure I felt being tucked in by loving grandparents in that warm bed. 

God wants His children, the remnant of believers in this world, to know that we will always be secure as long as our faith in our God is strong and we’re willing to follow Him. Now, Satan and his world will do all they can to disrupt our fellowship with the Lord and lead us astray in fear. And that’s exactly what the enemy of the Lord tried to do with Jesus in the wilderness (see Matthew 4: 1-11). However, as one can read in the portion of that passage linked above, Jesus dispelled the enemy by using His own living word; and if we can learn to use the sword of the Spirit in that same manner, we can be so much more secure than we will be if we try to turn the enemy away in our own power. 

There is a rather simple formula to promote secure living in this life. … The deeper and more abiding our relationship with God is, the more secure will be our life in Christ. An intimate relationship with Christ doesn’t mean we will have no problems or temptations. It means that we will be more confident and effective in dealing with our trials [see 1st Corinthians 10: 13 above]. So, … the question to promote security in life from my time with God today is … HOW CLOSELY AM I WALKING WITH CHRIST?

My Prayer for Today … Lord, I know when I follow You I will be secure. Amen

Blogger Note: Every day during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries. If you GO TO THIS LINK  on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: