Tuesday, December 02, 2014

December 2, 2014 … A Root of Evil

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2014 - Day 336

Devotional Song: Go to this link  … Please take the time to take in the lyrics with the group, Hillsong, leading in worship, singing their contemporary song, Jesus, You’re All I Need, … reminding all Christians of our need to recognize that God has provided all we need in our relationship with Christ.


Highlight Passage #1 - NKJV 1st Timothy 6: 10 … Beware of loving money!! …
  10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. 
============
Highlight Context – 1st Timothy 6: 6-10 [NKJV]USE THIS LINK …   Paul warns that money is not bad … but THE LOVE OF MONEY is a big danger zone
============

Reference Passage #1 – Matthew 6: 19-24 [NKJV]USE THIS LINK …   Jesus teaching that mankind cannot serve both God and money [see verse 24]

Reference Passage #2 - NKJV Matthew 6: 33 … Jesus stanchly teaches where our life priorities should lie …
33 Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness; and all these things [the needs of life] will be added unto you. 

Reference Passage #3 - NKJV Philippians 4: 11-12 … Paul had learned to be content no matter what his status in life … with plenty or in privation …
  11 Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: 12 I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. 13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. 

My Journal for Today: Today’s Our Daily Bread devotional entry, authored by Marvin Williams , takes ODB readers (me) back to the time when the Apostle Paul was mentoring a young Timothy to become the Pastor of the church in Ephesus. And Paul recognized one of the main dangers a church will face, … the reality of coming to worship money, riches, and power in lieu of the worship of the ONE & ONLY GOD. Hence the warning to the young Pastor [see 1st Timothy 6: 6-10 linked above] and to all Christians of the message Jesus also forcefully taught in His Sermon on the Mount [see Matthew 6: 19-24] … that man cannot serve both God and money.

 Paul had learned this lesson in living, telling of his ability to be content, no matter whether in plenty or in privation, … being able to find his strength in his relationship with Christ (see Phil. 4: 11-13). Jesus taught us to “seek first the kingdom of God;” and then all we need would be provided for us (see Matt. 6: 33). The question becomes … do we believe that and do we live out these truths (above) every day in our lives? I leave that self-inventory to you as I’m dealing with it here today from this ODB entry.

My Prayer for Today … Lord, … Jesus, You’re all I need. Amen

Blogger Note: Every day during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries. If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: