Thursday, October 18, 2018

October 18, 2018 … Piercing Thorns

Berry Patch Devotions in 2019 - Day 290 

Devotional Song: … GO TO THIS LINK … Please take the time to take in a YouTube of song and lyrics from Lauren Dangle singing … How Can It Be … poignantly singing of how wondrous it is that Jesus would bleed and die that we would be eternally justified and cleansed of our sins.


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: Isaiah 53:5 [NKJV] … 5 But He was wounded[k] for our transgressions, … He was bruised for our iniquities; … the chastisement for our peace was upon Him, … and by His stripes we are healed. 
… His blood sacrifice was our eternal healing.
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: Isaiah 53:1-6 [NKJV]… USE THIS LINK
… 700+ years before the incarnation of Christ, His death on the cross is prophesied to be the horror it became in reality.
=============

Reference Passage : … John 19:1-3 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK
… Jesus mocked, scourged, crowned with thorns, and taken to the Cross.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Adam Holz, uses a common pain experienced by many of us to draw a pain picture of what Jesus experienced during His passion and death on Golgotha. The ODB author writes … The thorn pricked my index finger, drawing blood. I hollered and then groaned, drawing back my hand instinctively. But I shouldn’t have been surprised: trying to prune a thorny bush without gardening gloves [see photo] was a recipe for exactly what just happened. 
The pain throbbing in my finger—and the blood flowing from it—demanded attention. And as I searched for a bandage, I found myself unexpectedly thinking about my Savior. After all, soldiers forced Jesus to don an entire crown of thorns (John 19:1–3). If one thorn hurt this much, I thought, how much agony would an entire crown of them inflict? And that’s just a small portion of the physical pain He suffered. A whip flogged His back. Nails penetrated His wrists and ankles. 

I think many readers here, if not most, can empathize with the pain from thorn cuts; and then, we can project that pain, magnified infinitely, upon what our Lord experienced on the way to the cross and as He took upon Himself the sins of the world, bleeding and dying, in really unimaginable agony on Golgotha.

I think, as now, we need to try to recognize and realize, even if we cannot truly empathize, what our Lord endured that we could realize the truth of what Isaiah prophesied in the highlight passage and what became reality on the cross and with the resurrection of our Savior.

If you’re reading here with me, … will you join me with a resounding … HALLELUJAH!!!

=============
My THANKFULNESS: … Oh Abba Father, … thank You, Lord, for Your suffering that gives me entrance into glory thru my faith in Your finished work on the cross.
=============

My Prayer Today: Oh Abba Father, … King Jesus, … I’m praying that all who know King Jesus as Lord can praise His Holy Name today for wearing that crown of thorns on the cross and shedding His blood as the Lamb of God in remission for our sins. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled “Our Daily Bread,” distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: