Thursday, January 02, 2014

January 2, 2014 … Feeding on the Bread of Life

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2014 - Day 2

Devotional Song: Go to this link  – to hear a worship group singing , I Am The Bread of LIfe, … a worshipful reminder that we feed for life on the word of God for His sustenance of grace.
=============


Highlight Passage #1 - NKJV: Nehemiah 8: 8-9 …  
8 So they read distinctly from the book, in the Law of God; and they gave the sense, and helped them to understand the reading. 9 And Nehemiah, who was the governor, Ezra the priest and scribe, and the Levites who taught the people said to all the people, “This day is holy to the LORD your God; do not mourn nor weep.” For all the people wept, when they heard the words of the Law.
============
Highlight Context - NKJV: Nehemiah, Chapter 8, Verses 1-12… GO TO THIS LINK … 
============

Reference Passage #1: Isaiah 55: 11 … [NKJV] … [The promise of power through God’s word.] …  
11 So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; it shall not return to Me void, but it shall accomplish what I please, and it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.

Reference Passage #2: John 6: 32-33, … 48 … [NKJV] … [Jesus’ declaration of our need to feed on Him as the “bread of life.” ] …
  32 Then Jesus said to them [His disciples], “Most assuredly, I say to you, Moses did not give you the bread from heaven, but My Father gives you the true bread from heaven. 33 For the bread of God is He who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world. … 
48 I am the Bread of Life. … ”

Reference Passage #1: 1st Peter 2: 2 … [NKJV] … [Feeding on God’s word gives us sustenance to grow in our faith.] …
2 … as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby, 3 if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is gracious.

My Journal for Today: Interesting that I chose to feed on the Radio Bible Ministry devotional, “Our Daily Bread,” which reminded me today how important it is for Christians who desire to grow in their faith to be feeding on God’s word (i.e. His bread of life) daily.

When Nehemiah and Ezra led the remnant of believers back to Jerusalem, from Babylon, both of these leaders realized that once the walls were rebuilt and the people had begun rebuilding the Temple, the most important thing God’s people could do was to be re-introduced to the “bread of life,” which was God’s word. And so, in Nehemiah, Chapter 8, linked above, we read of what happened when Ezra and the Levite teachers brought out God’s Book of the Law and began reading and teaching from it.

Revival broke out amongst the people.

And I firmly believe that if the remnant of Christian people – today - will individually begin to feed on God’s word daily, with discipline and purpose, seeking to feed on God’s truth, God’s grace of enlightenment, enablement, and empowerment will be poured into their lives; and if enough of God’s church would do this, revival would break out in this world today as it did in the days of Nehemiah and Ezra.

God’s promise is to give us life and the power of His purpose (i.e., His will) through His word (see Is. 55:11); and Jesus, Himself, told His disciples (and that’s you and me, too!) that He was their “bread of life;” (see John 6: 48) because when we feed our minds and hearts on Gods’ truth, we are feeding on the One Who will give us all we need for our living and for life.

I don’t know about you; but I’m here today feeding on the very BREAD OF LIFE in this “Our Daily Bread” devotional; and I’ll be back here tomorrow to feed again on God’s Truth.

My Prayer for Today … Lord, fill me with Your word of life and then grow me in Your purpose. … Amen

Blogger Note: Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread [TGIF], distributed online via email by RBC Ministries. If you GO TO THIS LINK  on the date of my blog, you’ll find a link to read the Our Daily Bread blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: