Tuesday, January 07, 2014

January 7, 2014 … Healing Words

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2014 - Day 7

Devotional Song: Go to this link  – to hear the group Phillips, Craig, and Dean singing Let My Words Be Few, … reminding us that our words don’t have to be many to honor and glorify our God; but the few we speak can have power in saving or healing others to who they are directed.
=============


Highlight Passage #1 - NKJV: Matthew 6: 9 [from the Sermon on the Mount.] …  
9 In this manner, therefore, pray: Our Father in heaven, hallowed be Your name. … “  
============
Highlight Context - NKJV: Matthew, Chapter 6, Verses 5-15 … GO TO THIS LINK … 
============

Reference Passage #1: Isaiah 55: 11… [NKJV] -  [God’s word – always with power and purpose] …  
11 So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; it shall not return to Me void, but it shall accomplish what I please, and it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.

Reference Passage #2: John 3: 16… [NKJV] … [Words worth memorizing.] …  
16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Reference Passage #3: Ephesians 4: 29… [NKJV] … [What we say reveals our heart.] …  
29 Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers.

My Journal for Today:  

“Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me!”

Do you possibly remember that little ditty, which was used by children in my youth to come back to someone who had tried to say something hurtful against you or a friend? I remember it well from my youth; but I think we now know, as adults, that this old ditty could not be further from the truth. Words can – and do – hurt at times; and sometimes devastatingly so.

In my “Our Daily Bread” devotional for today, the author reminds his readers about the day that President Lincoln spoke “The Gettysburg Address,” trying to help heal the nation from the loss of life in such battles as that one on the fields of Pennsylvania. On that day Mr. Edward Everett, a prominent man of his day and President of Harvard University, spoke for 2 hours prior to Lincoln. Have you ever heard anything he said quoted? No; … but how many people, even today, can remember or have heard the powerful, healing words of the two minute speech by Lincoln? … Yes, words are powerful to heal.

Think of some of the healing words which have had power in your life, … perhaps to hurt, … or prayerfully to heal you. One phrase from the Bible (from Phil. 4:13) … ”I can do all things through Christ Who gives me my strength.” … had the power to save my life for eternity (long story – too long to relate here). So, I’ll certainly never forget how those words reached out to me, and as in the attached photo, showed God’s love and His saving grace for my life.

How many Christians can quote from the highlight passage of today’s devotional … from what we know of as ”The Lord’s Prayer”; or from the famous passage where Jesus was speaking truth to Nicodemus. It’s quoted above too in John 3: 16. Memorable passages from God’s word which have the saving and healing power which God spoke of about His word through the Prophet Isaiah (see Isaiah 55: 11 above).

And when you were down – and maybe almost out – has anyone ever used God’s word, as a healing balm to help lift you up or to give you peace in a time of turmoil or hurtfulness in your life? I can almost sense many of you, reading here, saying a heart-felt “AMEN!”

So, when we speak out to others, it would be wise to remember and apply the exhortation and teaching of the Apostle Paul from Ephesians 4: 29, who was writing to Christians, like you and me, trying to get us to use our words ONLY for healing or edification and never to hurt anyone we are addressing.

Good WORDS, for sure!!

My Prayer for Today … Lord, Your words permeate my soul and give me healing every day. … Amen  

Blogger Note: Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread [TGIF], distributed online via email by RBC Ministries. If you GO TO THIS LINK  on the date of my blog, you’ll find a link to read the Our Daily Bread blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: