Friday, February 07, 2014

February 7, 2014 … My way or God’s highway: our choice!

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2014 - Day 38

  Devotional Song: Devotional Song: Go to this link  – to hear Daniel O’Donnell singing, Here I Am Lord, … a prayer of surrender of self to the way of the Savior; … and GO TO THIS LINK  – to hear the alternative way of self over Savior, with Frank Sinatra singing My Way. It’s our choice – His or ours.
=============


Highlight Verse – NKJV: Matthew 5: 16 [NKJV] …  
16 Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven. 
============
Highlight Passage: Judges, Chapter 3, Verses 7-11 [NKJV] … Go to this link ...  
============

Reference Passage #1: Judges 21: 25 … [NKJV] …  
25 In those days there was no king in Israel; everyone did what was right in his own eyes.

Reference Passage #1: Luke 9: 23 … [NKJV] … [Jesus gives us the choice – His way or my way..] …  23 Then He said to them all, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me. …”

My Journal for Today: If you go back to my blogger.com devotional on December 28, 2013, you’re going to see that I used exactly the same linked songs to illustrate what I’m going to be journaling about today. Here’s the link to that 12/28/13 blog if one is curious enough to use it. Maybe God is trying to slam home a point for me, or thru me, … a point that Jesus addressed in his one sentence, three point-sermon about discipleship in Luke 9: 23, probably the most oft quoted passage in my daily journaling.

You’ve probably heard the quote, when someone is trying to get another to do things his/her way: ”It’s my way or the highway!” Well, the title for my journal entry today is close but actually about 180 degrees in the opposite direction of meaning: “My Way or God’s Highway: Our Choice!” And really that’s ultimately what the Bible is all about, isn’t it?

 God reveals Himself in His word and His plan; and He tells the story of His messenger of deliverance from OUR WAY, i.e., God’s Son, Who then gives every one of us His choice: “MY (i.e., God’s) way or _____________!!”; and I think you know what goes in the blank. So, choosing to do life my way (or your way) is not the choice Jesus is looking for, is it?

 And so, today, when we encounter one whom we might discern is headed toward that blank above, what are we going to do about it? Will we let him/her head down that highway of eternal doom; or will we do, as Jesus clearly stated in Matthew 5: 16? Will we shine Christ’s light bright enough for those on the highway of selfishness to turn around and go the other way – GOD’S WAY?

My Prayer for Today … Lord, … Lord, again I pray for me to be Your light for others to see Your highway to eternal life. … Amen

Blogger Note: Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread [TGIF], distributed online via email by RBC Ministries. If you GO TO THIS LINK  on the date of my blog, you’ll find a link to read the Our Daily Bread blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: