Saturday, March 29, 2014

March 29, 2014 … Shining Our Light - Every Day

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2014 - Day 88

Devotional Song: Go to this link …  Please go to this video link to hear the group, Katrina and the Wave, singing the encouraging song, Let Your Love Shine A Light, … reminding us that we, as Christians, are to shine the light of Christ into a darkened world so that others can see that light and flock to it as do moths to a night light.
=============


Highlight Passage – NKJV: 1st Peter 2: 11-12 [NKJV] …  
11 Beloved, I beg you as sojourners and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts which war against the soul, 12 having your conduct honorable among the Gentiles, that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may, by your good works which they observe, glorify God in the day of visitation. 
============
Highlight Passage [Context] – NKJV: 1st Peter 2: 4-12 [NKJV] … Go to this link 
=============

Reference Passage #1: Matthew 5: 14-16 [NKJV] …  
14 “You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven. …” 

Reference Passage #2: Philippians 2: 14-16 [NKJV] …  
14 Do all things without complaining and disputing, 15 that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, 16 holding fast the word of life, so that I may rejoice in the day of Christ that I have not run in vain or labored in vain.

My Journal for Today: Today my Our Daily Bread devotional reminded me of a bright light which used to shine in my life every morning as a young boy; and today’s attached photo was one segment of that light.

For many years in my youth I was a paperboy, delivering the morning paper to about a hundred customers in my Indiana home town. And EVERY MORNING, very early, when we gathered at the place to get our papers, I would open the “funnies” (i.e., the cartoon section) to read through several of the comic strips; and my favorite was always “Charlie Brown,” which, of course, was penned by Charles Schultz. And each year just before the American football season, he would have a cartoon involving Charlie Brown and little Lucy, where Lucy would hold out a football and con Charlie into running up to kick the ball; but Lucy would ALWAYS take the ball away, leaving poor, gullible, Charlie sprawled on the ground having missed the ball. And each year I would wonder why would Charlie always fall for Lucy’s sweet talk? But Charlie Brown’s innocent forgiveness and desire to see the best in Lucy really was a light shining in the darkness of my human cynicism.

I really think Charles Schultz had an impact on my character with that little light of a cartoon strip; because I became a Charlie Brown, … gullible to a fault, … willing to try to find the best in people, … and always willing to forgive the faults in others, … maybe even going overboard in the latter. And that’s why you find me here EVERY MORNING now, digging in to God’s word and believing it with the naïveté of a Charlie Brown, searching for ways to become more like Christ and to follow His commands to shine His light into an every darkening world (see the Scriptural citations above and the linked song).

I’m sure others would see me as very naïve in my willingness to forgive people who’ve done me wrong over and over and over again. But since my Savior once told Peter he must be willing to forgive others “seventy-times-seven” (which meant “forever” in the colloquial Greek); and since my Savior told His disciples to shine their light of Christlikeness brightly into this world, I figure I should do all I can by blogging here every morning to do just that.

And like Lucy, you may pull the ball away from me and even disappoint me terribly again and again; but I pray that I’ll be there next fall if you want me to try to kick that ball again.

My Prayer for Today … Lord, give me the courage to forgive those who’ve wronged me and the meekness to ALWAYS try to see the best in others, shining Your light of love for all to see You in me and not me in me. … Amen

Blogger Note: Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread [TGIF], distributed online via email by RBC Ministries. If you GO TO THIS LINK  on the date of my blog, you’ll find a link to read the Our Daily Bread blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: