Tuesday, June 19, 2018

June 19, 2018 … Bad Judgment - Good Judgment

Berry Patch Devotions in 2017 - Day 169 

Devotional Song: … GO TO THIS LINK … Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of images from Mercy Me singing their song … Dear Younger Me … poignantly singing of how we, as Christians, would likely look back and change our choices to reflect more of Christ.


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: Matthew 7:1-2 [NKJV] … 1 “Judge not, that you be not judged. 2 For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. 
 … We reap what we sow … to avoid hypocrisy in our judgment of others.
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: Matthew 7:1-6 [NKJV]… USE THIS LINK
… Jesus preaches on judging others.
=============

Reference Passage : … 2 Corinthians 5:17, 9:6 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK
… The principle of reaping what we sow applies to everything we choose to do, giving us the opportunity to reflect the change in us from God’s Spirit doing His “do-over” of our spirit.

Reference Passage : … Philippians 1:6, 2:5 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK
… God’s Spirit is giving us the opportunity to make “do-over” choices which honor God with our Christlikeness.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Linda Washington, in looking back on her life, reflected on attitudes and choices which did not reflect the Christlikeness she desired for herself later in life. The ODB author wrote: I’ve been quick to judge anyone I saw walking in the street while staring at a phone. How could they be so oblivious to the cars about to hit them? I’ve told myself. Don’t they care about their own safety? But one day, while crossing the entrance to an alleyway, I was so engrossed in a text message, that I missed seeing a car at my left. Thankfully, the driver saw me and came to an abrupt stop. But I felt ashamed. All of my self-righteous finger-pointing came back to haunt me. I had judged others, only to do the same thing myself. 

Can any reader, besides myself, identify? … In looking back at our lives, as is sung in the linked song, I would imagine there are things, especially attitudes and choices as Christians, that we’d like to change or DO OVER so as to reflect our Savior rather than our selves.

Jesus preached about that reaping and sowing principle in His Sermon on the Mount, didn’t He [see highlight passage]? He taught that we should not judge others lest we ourselves be judged. Well, I could write a lot of things on a card, as in the YouTube video, which I’d like to have a “do over” to change from my past. But the past is the past; … and the present is where the action is … to learn from the past and make choices which are Christ’s “DO-OVER” as He does his transforming work in me (see Phil. 1:6 and 2Cor. 5:17).

So, what kind of choices can we make today which can honor God and reshape His kingdom for His glory?

=============
My THANKFULNESS: … Oh Lord, Jesus, thank You for Your sanctifying grace and the opportunity to become more like You.
=============

My Prayer Today: Abba Father, … King Jesus, … Precious Spirit ... O Lord, … pour the power of Your grace into all that I do in Your Name and for Your glory. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled “Our Daily Bread,” distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: