Saturday, June 02, 2018

June 2, 2018 … Chewing on Truth

Berry Patch Devotions in 2017 - Day 152 

Devotional Song: … GO TO THIS LINK …  .Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of song and lyrics from the Maranatha Singers … Thy Word … poignantly singing how we, as Christians, must allow God’s word to lead us in life as we feed on it daily.


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: 1 Peter 2:2 [NKJV] … 2 as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby, … 
… To mature as young Christians we must feed daily on God’s truth to grow into the Christian God desires us to become.
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: 1 Peter 2:1-3 [NKJV] …USE THIS LINK
… Peter teaches new Christians on what they must do to lay aside their sin nature by feeding on the Word of God.
=============

Reference Passage : … Job 23:12 [NKJV] … 12  I have not departed from the commandment of His lips; I have treasured the words of His mouth more than my necessary food. 
… Job treasured the truth from God’s word more than food.

Reference Passage : … Proverbs 23:7a [NKJV] … 7 For as a man (or woman) thinks in his (or her) heart, so is he (she). 
… We become what we think. Therefore, we must put in our minds the truth of God.

Reference Passage : … Psalms 119:9-11, 105 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK
… We must feed on God’s word to avoid sin and use it as our light to walk out of darkness.

Reference Passage : … 2 Timothy 3:16-17 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK
… Paul teaches Timothy (and you and me) the power we have when we feed on God’s word, … power to carry out every good work for God’s glory.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, James Banks, uses a cute personal story about his dog to illustrate our need to “chew” and consume God’s word. The ODB author wrote: My wife recently gave me a Labrador retriever puppy we named Max. One day when Max was spending time with me in my study, I was concentrating at my desk and heard the sound of paper ripping behind me. I turned to find a guilty-looking puppy with a book wide open and a page dangling from his mouth. 
Our veterinarian tells us that Max is going through his “chewing years.” As puppies lose their milk teeth and permanent ones grow, they soothe their gums by chewing almost anything. We have to watch Max carefully to ensure he isn’t gnawing on something that could harm him, and we point him to healthy alternatives. 

I can personalize that story because a mentor, when I was a new, “baby,” Christian recognized how biblically illiterate I was; and he led me on an 18 month trek to contextualize, memorize, and internalize Scripture. And because of that discipline and exercise I grew immensely from the immature flesh driven former atheist and then baby Christian to the disciple I now am, … an ordained Minister of the Gospel.

When we’re new or immature Christians, like the puppy (see photo) we need to “chew” on substance which will help us grow in Christ, … which will provide us with light in the darkness of this world, … and which will help us avoid our sin nature (see reference scriptures above). As the Proverb says (Prov. 23:7), “we become what we think.”

 So, our minds must continually consume what will help us grow into discerning, powerful followers of Christ. Hence, that’s why you find me here - EVERY MORNING - feeding on God’s truth and prayerfully growing in His grace. How about you, is God’s word on your daily diet? 

=============
My THANKFULNESS: … Oh Lord, Jesus, … Abba Father … thank You for providing the food of life from your word.
=============

My Prayer Today: Abba Father, … King Jesus, … Precious Spirit … Help me, Lord, to keep feeding on Your truth daily. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled “Our Daily Bread,” distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: