Monday, August 31, 2020

Aug 31, 2020 … Are You Listening?

Berry Patch Devotions in 2020 - Day 244 

Devotional Song: ... GO TO THIS LINK ...  Please take the time to take in images. song and lyrics from Twila Paris singing … I Will Listen … poignantly singing of how must decide to open our hearts and minds to hear God seeking our surrender to listen for His way.

The Ship's Radio 

==============
Highlight Passage : … 1Samuel 3:10 [ESV] ...    10 And the Lord came and stood, calling as at other times, “Samuel! Samuel!” And Samuel said, “Speak, for your servant hears.” 
… God calls for Samuel repeatedly; and finally Samuel tunes in to the Lord’s calling. 
=============
Highlight Passage [Context] : … 1Samuel 3:1-10 [ESV] ... USE THIS LINK
… God calls and calls to Samuel, who finally chooses to listen for God’s call.

=============
  Reference Passage : … Psalm 139:23-24 [ESV] … 23  Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! 24  And see if there be any grievous way in me,  and lead me in the way everlasting. 
… A good prayer, from a surrendered heart/mind, to be able to allow God’s “GPS” from HIs word to lead us thru the day.

Reference Passage : … Proverbs 3:5-6 [ESV] … 5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. 6  In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make straight your paths. 
… We must CHOOSE to trust God and to have a heart that is tuned in to hear Him calling for us.

Reference Passage : … John 10:27-28 [ESV] … 27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.  
… Jesus teaches that, as our Good Shepherd, those of us who are truly His, and belong to His flock, will hear His voice and follow Him as our Shepherd.

Reference Passage : … Revelation 3:20 [ESV] … 20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me. 
… Jesus is continually calling to us; … but we’ve got to choose to open our hearts/minds to hear Him.

My Devotional Journal: Today's Our Daily Bread author, Glenn Packiam, AT THIS LINK  tells of the tragic loss of life on the Titanic which might of been avoided if the radio of a nearby ship had their radio (see photo) on and able to hear the distress call of the Titanic.

The author, of course, was illustrating that we cannot - and will not - hear God calling to show us the way in life - i.e., His will - if we don’t CHOOSE to tune our minds/hearts to His calls for us. And If we’re not willing to use God’s “GPS,” which, of course, is the truth from His word, then we will often not hear or follow God’s way for our life [see Scriptures above].

That’s why you find me here each morning, beginning my day by tuning in to God’s Spirit, thru prayer and His truth, to let My Lord speak to me and show me the way - HIS WAY - for me to follow Him. And all of us who seek to serve our Lord, need to begin our days by making sure that we do what Twila Paris sings in the linked song and insure that we’re willing to seek God’s way for our day by listening for His call.

Are you tuned in today, seeking His way and His will thru His word?

=============
My THANKFULNESS: ... Oh Abba Father, ... thank You, Lord, … as I did yesterday, for giving me Your “GPS” thru Your word; … and showing me that I will need to be tuned in tomorrow as well. 
=============

My Prayer Today: Oh Abba Father, ... King Jesus, ... I pray, Lord, that all reading here will join me, to make sure that our mind/hearts are turned on and in “surrender mode” to be able to hear God calling today. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled “Our Daily Bread,” distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.</ span>

1 comment:

Joanie Bergstrom said...

This was so timely for me, Bill. I’m in a Journey class and we had a prayer walk today and it was revealed very strongly to me today that abiding inChrist is a CHOICE. It’s that simple.