Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Feb 17, 2021 … Tough Times -> Tougher God

Berry Patch Devotions in 2020 - Day 48 


Devotional Song: ... GO TO THIS LINK ... Please take the time to take in song and lyrics from Steven Curtis Chapman singing … His Strength Is Perfect  Poignantly singing of how God promises His strength (and grace) to be with us in times of trial or trouble. 


William of Orange - 17th Century Ruler of The Netherlands 
 
==============

Highlight Passage:  Isaiah 22:11  [ESV] ... 

11 You made a reservoir between the two walls for the water of the old pool. But you did not look to Him who did it, or see Him who planned it long ago. 

… As God’s chosen, we are to look to our Lord first when we’re in desperate situations.          

=============  

Highlight Passage [Context]: …  Isaiah 22:8-13 [ESV] …  USE THIS LINK … 

… God, thru Isaiah, charges his people to look to Yahweh first for their needs. 

==============              


Reference Passage: …  Proverbs 3:5-6 [ESV] ... USE THIS LINK … 

  Trusting God means looking to Him FIRST in our times of need or want and not trying to take action on our own.   


Reference Passage: … Matthew 6:33  [ESV] … 

33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things [the necessities of life] will be added to you.  

  Jesus shows His followers that we must look to our Lord FIRST in obedience to His righteousness when we’re in want or need. 


Reference Passage: … 1Corinthians 10:13 [ESV] … 

3 No temptation [also “trial or trouble”] has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and He will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation He will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it. 

  Paul teaches God’s truth about providing the empowering grace we need to handle the trials of life.  


Reference Passage: … 2Corinthians 12:9 [ESV] … 

But He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

  Paul remembered Jesus promise that God’s empowering grace was enough to handle any of life’s trials or pains.  


Reference Passage: …  Philippians 4:6-7 [ESV] ... USE THIS LINK … 

  Paul shows where we should go - FIRST - when we’re stressed out or in desperate situations … to God in prayer.  


My Devotional JournalToday's Our Daily Bread author, Tim Gustafson, AT THIS LINK   … uses an historical reference to William of Orange [see photo], when ruling Holland in the 17th century, flooded many farm fields to prevent the Spanish from invading.   However, taking such radical action was unsuccessful and unnecessary, causing much of the Dutch farmlands to be ruined.  


The ODB author used this historical incident to illustrate that we we often follow the old adage: “desperate times call for desperate actions;” and we ignore the reality of what God calls us to do in desperate times.   And the Scriptures above - as well as the linked song - remind me that in challenging times, … even painful trials, … we must set aside our fears or anxieties and go to God with our needs/wants.  


And these truth reminders came along for me at exactly the right time as I’m in a lot of pain right now; … and as Steven Curtis Chapman sings, … I need my Lord’s strength and His empowering grace to see me thru these challenging times with my back pain in the midst of a snow emergency.  And if you’re in pain, … or dealing with a time of weakness now,  … I pray you join me to seek our Lord’s strength to see us thru these trials.  


My THANKFULNESS: ... Oh Abba Father, ... thank You, Lord, … by ALWAYS  providing Your grace and Your strength to lift me up in these times of trial.   

My Prayer Today: Oh Abba Father, ... King Jesus, ... . I pray that all reading here will join me, … to go to God today if we going thru troubled times of trial.     … Amen 


=============

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled “Our Daily Bread,” distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: