Saturday, May 20, 2023

May 20, 2023 … Closer to God

Berry Patch Devotions in 2023 - Day 140


Devotional Song: ... GO TO THIS LINK ...   Please take the time to take in song and lyrics from Russ Taff and  Leigh Nash singing … Draw Near To God … poignantly and powerfully singing of how we Christians need to draw close to God thru humble prayer.    



============        

Highlight Passage: … Matthew 6:6  [NLT] … 

But when you pray, go away by yourself, shut the door behind you, and pray to your Father in private. Then your Father, Who sees everything, will reward you. 

… Jesus’ teaching on how to get alone in prayer to God, The Father.      

                         

Highlight Passage (Context): … Matthew 6:5-13 [NLT] …  USE THIS LINK  

… Jesus teaches His disciples how to draw closer to God by prayer to the Father in private.        

===============                                                                 .                                                                                                                            

Reference Passage: … 2Chronicles 7:14 [NLT] … 

14 Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 

… God’s instruction to His people on the healing and restoring power of humble prayer to God.       

Reference Passage: … Matthew 6:33 [NLT] … 

33 Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and He will give you everything you need. 

… Jesus teaches those would follow Him that they (we) must seek first God’s kingdom and His righteousness for the Lord to provide all we need in life.            


Reference Passage: … John 15:7 [NLT] … 

But if you remain in me and my words remain in you, you may ask for anything you want, and it will be granted! 

… Jesus also teaches what it takes, by abiding in Chris, to pray for and receive God’s enabling grace and fruit-bearing mercies. 


Reference Passage: … James 4:8a [NLT] … 

Come close to God, and God will come close to you.  . … 

… James exhorts fellow Christian to do all they (we) can to come close to God.   


Reference Passage: … Revelation 3:20 [NLT] … 

20 “Look! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends. 

… Jesus addresses born-again believers with His promise to come in and fellowship with those who respond to His caring overtures … daily …  to knock on the doors of their (our) hearts.      

                                                                                                                          

My Devotional JournalToday's Our Daily Bread author, John Blase … AT THIS LINK …   tells of noted Christian writer, Madeleine L’Engle; writing abut staying close to her mother by calling her almost daily; and, feeling so good when her children kept close, regular, contact with her.   And, applying that to our relationship with God, … being quoted as saying,   “It is good for the children to keep in touch. It is good for all of us children to keep in touch with our Father.” 


I, personally, have felt that God must love hearing His own words come back to Him in prayer, especially those words, from His own Scripture, which seek after a closer relationship with our Lord.  That’s why daily I pray God’s word from King David (in Psalms 19:14, 63:1-4, and 139:23-24), … humbly praying that my God will lead me to follow His ways everyday.  

How can all of us do what our God seeks from His faithful children (see 2Chronicles 7:14 and Matthew 6:33) and that is to humbly stay in close touch with our Father, God, every day?  So, how about we stop and share a prayer, .. RIGHT NOW …, seeking after our Lord’s love and mercy and grace.   As I wrote in my blog, yesterday - USE THIS LINK -  … Our God is always listening!         

My THANKFULNESS: ... Oh, Abba Father, thank You, King Jesus, … for ALWAYS being there, Lord, to hear my prayers.            

My Prayer Today: Oh Abba Father, ... King Jesus, ... . I pray that all reading here will join me, … again today, as I prayed yesterday,  Lord, … knowing that You ALWAYS desire to hear Your children, Lord, trying to get closer to You.     … AMEN 


=============

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled “Our Daily Bread,” distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

1 comment:

Kjetil said...

Amen again!
Kjetil