Thursday, August 20, 2015

August 20, 2015:  You Are My Neighbor

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2015 - Day 231  

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK … Please take the time to take in a video of Dr. Fred Rogers singing the title song from his famous children’s TV program, Won’t You Be My Neighbor, where Rogers became the neighbor of every child (or adult) who watched his program, which taught so many wonderful Christian values.  

 
Highlight Passage:  Luke 10: 36-37 [NKJV]  …  
36 So which of these three do you think was neighbor to him who fell among the thieves?” 37 And he said, “He who showed mercy on him.” Then Jesus said to him, “Go and do likewise.” 
… Since anyone and everyone in need is our “neighbor,” we must be neighbors to all. 
============ 
Highlight Context – Luke 10: 25-37 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK  …  
…  Jesus’ parable of the “Good Samaritan”
 ============      

Reference Passage #1 - Luke 9: 23 [NKJV] … ALERT !! - I hope you know this one by heart !!
… Deny self and be like our Savior!! … Be a neighbor to anyone in need.

Reference Passage #2 - Philippians 2: 3-7 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK
… Being a “neighbor” means thinking of the needs of others over selfish desires … just as Jesus thought of us as His “neighbor” and friends.

My Journal for Today:  Today’s Our Daily Bread author, Marion Stroud, who BTW is now with Jesus, told an illustrative story of a friend who was looking forward to being with her close friends at church to study the difference between “going” to church and “being” the church … when a next door neighbor called. The neighbor, whom she’d never met, reluctantly asked for transportation assistance. Author Stroud related that knowing she’d miss her class with dear friends, she, of course, relented to help her neighbor by driving her for car repairs. And in doing so, Stroud learned an even more valuable lesson in “being” the church to a neighbor.

 When I was reading Stroud’s story, I was taken back to a children’s TV show which was created decades ago and starred Dr. Fred Rogers. The show, “Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood,” was a delightfully entertaining show for our two girls as they grew up in their learning years. Though we weren’t Christians at the time, I now recognize that the values taught on this old TV show were those of Fred Rogers, who was a Christian, teaching Kingdom values to those on national network TV. It was a great show for our girls to be watching (see attached photo and Fred Rogers singing the show’s title song in the linked song above).

 And author Stroud’s ODB teaching today came from one of Jesus’ most famous teaching parables, … the parable of the “Good Samaritan,” where Jesus was teaching a Pharisee lawyer about the reality of being a good neighbor, … because, as the parable illustrated, everyone is our neighbor and anyone in need, even a pagan Samaritan (despised by the Jews), who was in need, deserved neighborly assistance. Question, …

With whom can I be a neighbor today? Do you need me? If so, call on me, and I’ll do all I can to be there for you?

My Prayer Today:  Oh, my Lord, … If a “neighbor” needs me, let them call on me; and I’ll do all I can to be You for them today.  … Amen  

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: