Saturday, August 29, 2015

August 29, 2015:  Unsteady Baby Steps

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2015 - Day 240

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK … Please take the time to take in a video of images from Steven Curtis Chapman singing the his song His Strength is Perfect reminding all Christians that God’s strength will cover us in our weaknesses.



Highlight Passage:   Psalm 18: 32 [NKJV]  …
32 And it is God Who arms me with strength, and makes my way perfect. 
… When we take those unsteady baby steps; God, our Daddy is there to catch us.
 ============

Highlight Context – Psalm 18: 31-36 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK  …
 …  Our Lord watches our steps and guides us in life.
============     
Reference Passage #1 - Proverbs 3: 5-6 [NKJV] … 
5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart; and lean not on your own understanding. 6 In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight. 
… Even with our way seems precarious or frightful, we are to trust in our Lord for guidance and protection.

Reference Passage #2 - Isaiah 41: 10 [NKJV] … 
10 Fear not, for I am with you; … be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, 
… yes, I will help you. I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. 
… Yes, even when we feel weak and unable to go forward.

Reference Passage #3 - Romans 8: 28 [NKJV] … 
28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. 
… Yes, … ALL things; … even the unsteady, scary steps we have to take in life.

Reference Passage #4 - 2nd Corinthians 12: 9-10 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK
 …  It’s Jesus’ promise to give us His enabling grace when we are weak or doubtful. So why should I be afraid?

My Journal for Today:  Today’s Our Daily Bread author, Keila Ochoa, used a personal illustration to provide a word picture for her entry today. She wrote: My baby is learning to walk. I have to hold her, and she clings to my fingers because she is still unsteady on her feet. She is afraid of slipping, but I’m there to steady her and watch over her. As she walks with my help, her eyes sparkle with gratitude, happiness, and security. But sometimes she cries when I don’t let her take dangerous paths, not realizing that I am protecting her. 

And there are times in our lives, even as adults, that we feel like a babe as we take uneasy, even fearful, steps when we have to make decisions where our emotions are unsteady and we can even be hyper-anxious about our choices. And perhaps you’re even conjuring up some incident from the past - or maybe even currently - where you seemed to be very hesitant or fearful of the steps you had to (or must) take. And perhaps we feel like that little babe in the attached photo.

 The ODB author went on to write from the highlight passage above about the King after God’s own heart: King David knew all about the need for God’s watchful care in his life. In Psalm 18 he describes how God gives us strength and guidance when we are lost or confused (v. 32). He keeps our feet steady, like the feet of the deer that can climb high places without slipping (v. 33). And if we do slip, His hand is there for us (v. 35). 

And if we meditate on all of the Scriptures above, as well as take in the linked song, we must realize that we need not fear when we’re take “baby steps” that are uneasy or fearful. God is with us; and His grace will always be there to help us move forward.

 So, let’s go … and take those baby steps we need to take today.

My Prayer Today:  Oh, my Lord, … Steady me as I walk toward you, my Abba Father, today.    … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: