Wednesday, August 26, 2015

August 26, 2015:  Word Power!!

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2015 - Day 237  

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK  Please take the time to take in a video of Phillips, Craig, and Dean singing, the song they wrote, Let My Words Be Few, poignantly expressing the need for all Christians to limit their words to those which convey the grace and love of God to others.


Highlight Passage:  Proverbs 18: 21 [NKJV]  …  
28 Death and life are in the power of the tongue, … 
… So, what I say is sort of important, isn’t it?!
============ 
Highlight Context – Proverbs 18: 1-8, 20-21 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK  …  
…  We can have the power of life/death in the power of our words.
============      

Reference Passage #1 - Proverbs 4: 23 [NKJV] … 
23 Keep your heart with all diligence, for out of it springs the issues of life. 
… Our words come the heart [see Prov. 23: 7 NKJV)

Reference Passage #2 - Proverbs 19:14 [NKJV] … 
14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, … my strength and my Redeemer. 
… Oh how this is always my prayer!!

Reference Passage #3 - Ephesians 4: 29 [NKJV] … 
29 Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers. 
… If our words don’t impart grace or build someone up, … SHUT UP!

Reference Passage #4 - James 3: 1-12 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK
… So difficult to tame the power of the tongue.

My Journal for Today:  Today’s Our Daily Bread author, Marvin Williams, writes, as did Solomon at length (see Highlight and reference verses from Proverbs), about the power of our words to build up or to destroy. Hence, my link to the poignant and pertinent song of theirs, Let My Words Be Few, which we should all take to heart.

 As Solomon conveyed (see above) our words emanate from our heart; and the truth in Prov. 23: 7 is so right on, … As a man thinks, in his heart, so is he …. When we come to realize what the Apostle Paul taught in Eph. 4: 29 is so true, we can use the power of the tongue to avoid what James wrote about in James 3 [see link above]. And that is that the tongue has such power to destroy … that we must avoid letting anything come out of our mouths which will tear down or destroy. And Paul’s rule of speech held such truth.

 And what he conveyed in the Eph. 4: 29 passage (see above) was to avoid any words which do not either convey grace to the hearers or build them up in some way. So, as I wrote above after that passage, … if what I say doesn’t edify or give grace to others, I should simply keep my mouth shut!! So, that’s my prayer today.

My Prayer Today:  Oh, my Lord, … Please give me opportunities to encourage others with my words or to lift them up in some way with what I say; … but if I feel anger or selfishness, to keep my mouth shut!!  … Amen  

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: