Sunday, August 23, 2015

August 23, 2015:  Listen, … He Speaks!!

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2015 - Day 234  

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK Please take the time to take in a video of Dennis Jernigan, who wrote this song and is joined by Twyla Paris singing, On My Knees, expressing the need of most of us today to unplug from the world and find refuge on our knees, in solitude, and in the presence of God. … And then ON TO THIS LINK to hear Dave Lubben singing Speak To Me … with the desire we all should have for God to speak to our hearts and that we would hear His call.  


Highlight Passage:  Mark 6: 31 [NKJV]  …  
31 And He said to them, “Come aside by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while.” For there were many coming and going, and they did not even have time to eat. 
… Jesus tells His inner 12 to seek solitude to be with God, the Father.
============ 
Highlight Context – Mark 6: 30-32, 45-47 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK  …  
…  Jesus teaches the need to disconnect from the world and rest in the Lord
============      

Reference Passage #1 - 1st Corinthians 13: 11-13 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK
… We SO NEED to get face-to-face with God; and the closest place this side of heave we can do that in this world is, as Dennis Jernigan and Twyla Paris sing (linked above) … on our knees, alone with God.

Reference Passage #2 - 2nd John 1: 12 [NKJV] … 
12 Having many things to write to you, I did not wish to do so with paper and ink; but I hope to come to you and speak face to face, that our joy may be full. 
… John last wish desired to see beloved fellow Christians … FACE-TO-FACE.

My Journal for Today:  Today’s Our Daily Bread author, Cindy Hess Kasper, reflected on our deep cultural need to unplug for periods of time from the hubbub of information overload and get alone with God … just as Jesus advised His inner 12 Disciples at a time when they had been under great demand just after they saw Jesus feed the thousands on that hillside near the Sea of Galilee [see the Mark 6 passages above].

 What do you think would be the reaction if you asked the group of young people, depicted in the attached photo, to unplug from their laptops, iPads, and smartphones for a period of just 24 hours to get alone and just be with God IN SOLITUDE. It would be a hard sell, wouldn’t it?

 Today, we’re almost addicted to the noise of the world; and it can be so distracting from face-to-face connection with our friends and loved ones (see 2John 1: 12).   So many of us, who love God and seek His way, need to take Jesus’ advice to His Disciples and seek a closer and more abiding relationship with Him … yes, … by seeking to hear God IN SOLITUDE.

 Solitude?!!! … Now there’s a spiritual discipline that has become all too scarce in our world today, … hasn’t it? How often do we do what Dennis Jernigan wrote about in his poignant and pertinent song (linked above) … i.e., to get alone on our knees with God? How long has it been since you’ve done what I’m doing right now … to get alone with God - in quiet - and just listen for God’s still small voice … perhaps coming through prayer … or maybe, as I hear Him every morning, … through His word.

 Does God speak to you in your quiet place - EVERY DAY - through His word? It’s remarkable how many times, out of the hustle and bustle of the world, when I get alone with God - as I am here today - that His truth rings true in my mind, and I hear Him speaking clearly to my heart … sometimes lovingly, … sometimes with conviction, … often with direction . as He seems to be right now! … But He speaks; and when I listen and apply His truth to my life, I live with so much more grace than I do by listening to the world.

 So, let’s get quiet here … and maybe get on our knees; … and let’s pray the prayer Dave Lubben sings in his song, linked above . “Speak to me, Lord!”

My Prayer Today:  Oh, my Lord, … Speak to me, that I may hear You through the noise of the world.  … Amen  

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: