Saturday, January 13, 2018

January 13, 2018 … Slow To Anger

Berry Patch Devotions in 2017 - Day 13 

Devotional Song: … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a YouTube video with lyrics and song from the Maranatha Singers singing the old hymn … Great Is Thy Faitherulness … poignantly singing of the unchanging and faithful nature of God which is slow to anger and with His mercies new every morning.


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: Exodus 34:6 [NLT] … 6 The Lord passed in front of Moses, calling out, … “Yahweh! … The Lord!  The God of compassion and mercy! I am slow to anger and filled with unfailing love and faithfulness. 7 I lavish unfailing love to a thousand generations 
… Moses learns His God’s character, which is slow to anger and filled with love and faithfulness. 
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: Exodus 33:18-19, 34:1-7 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… God reveals to Moses His Name and His character
=============

Reference Passage : … Proverbs 19:11 [NLT] … 11 Sensible people control their temper; they earn respect by overlooking wrongs. 
… If we imitate God we will control our anger.

Reference Passage : … Lamentations 3:22-23 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… Our God is faithful and His mercies are new every morning … just as ours should be to others every day.

Reference Passage : …Galatians 5:22-23 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… Paul lists characteristics of Christlikeness, which includes … patience, kindness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control.

Reference Passage : …James 1:19 [NLT] … 19 Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry. 
… God, thru James, exhorts Christians to pursue Christlikeness and be slow to anger.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Linda Washington, related a personal story of how her personal perception of God’s character was influenced by her education. The ODB author wrote: When I studied Greek and Roman mythology in college, I was struck by how moody and easily angered the mythological gods were in the stories. The people on the receiving end of their anger found their lives destroyed, sometimes on a whim. 
I was quick to scoff, wondering how anyone could believe in gods like that. But then I asked myself, Is my view of the God who actually exists much different? Don’t I view Him as easily angered whenever I doubt Him? Sadly, yes. 

Often, I believe, we let ideas from the world or cultural paradigms influence how we see God. And so, when circumstances don’t go our way, especially for a long period of time, we think of God like an angry boss or distant father figure. But as Moses learned (see highlight passage), his God, … Yahweh, … Who is our God of course, was no where near like that.

And when we could finally see God in the flesh in His Son, Jesus, we really got the accurate picture of the character of God. And so, when you take in and meditate on the scriptures above, that picture is one of a God, our LORD, King Jesus, who was/is never changing, always faithful, slow to anger, and always willing to dole out His love, His mercy, and His grace to those who obediently follow Him.

Personally, I come here every day to glean from His word more about my King Jesus so that I can do all I can to become just like Him; and I will continue to do so, … so that my character can imitate His (see all the reference passages, especially Gal 5:22-23.

=============
My THANKFULNESS: … Oh Lord, Jesus, thank You for revealing the real You thru Your Son and describing Yourself completely in Your word.
=============

My Prayer Today: Abba Father, … King Jesus, … Precious Spirit … Help me to become more like You today and even more tomorrow. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled “Our Daily Bread,” distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: