Tuesday, January 30, 2018

January 30, 2018 … My Mighty Fortress

Berry Patch Devotions in 2017 - Day 30 

Devotional Song: … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a YouTube video with song and lyrics from Steven Curtis Chapman singing … Be Still and Know … poignantly singing of the faithfulness of our God, Whom we can run to in times in trouble and pain. … and ON TO THIS LINK to hear a chorus singing Martin Luther’s famous hymn, A Mighty Fortress, powerfully singing what David wrote in Psalm 46 … that God is our faithful protector in times of trouble.


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: Psalm 46:1 [NLT] … 1 God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble. 
… We run to Him in times of trouble.
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: Psalm 46 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… David honors his God with a song declaring the Lord’s sovereignty and available to all who trust him the Lord.
=============

Reference Passage : … Matthew 11:28-30[NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… Jesus, our Messiah, invites all who struggle to bring their worries to Him; and He will help carry them.

Reference Passage : … 2nd Corinthians 12: 9 [NKJV] … 9 Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. 
… Paul learned that even in the worst pain, God’s grace is sufficient to give Paul (and us) the strength when we are weak.

Reference Passage : … 1st Peter 5:7 [NKJV] … 7 Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you. 
… God, thru Peter, exhorts believers to bring their cares to our God; … anyone, anytime, anywhere.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Xochitl Dixon, told a personal story to illustrate God’s faithfulness, especially when we face times of trouble. The ODB author wrote: My husband was at work when I received news about my mom’s cancer diagnosis. I left him a message and reached out to friends and family. None were available. Covering my face with trembling hands, I sobbed. “Help me, Lord.” A resulting assurance that God was with me comforted me through those moments when I felt utterly alone. 
I thanked the Lord when my husband came home and support from friends and family trickled in. Still, the calming awareness of God’s presence I sensed in those first few hours of lonely grieving affirmed that God is readily and faithfully available wherever and whenever I need help. 

 Right now, as I write this, I’m feeling very weak and quite ill. And I really needed these uplifting thoughts and reminders that anyone (who is in Christ), anytime, anywhere can be comforted by the reality and truth that our God never changes and as David wrote in Psalm 46, we can garner His strength when we are weak (see also the reference scriptures above).

And I need His strength today. Perhaps you do too.

=============
My THANKFULNESS: … Oh Lord, Jesus, thank You for being what Martin Luther wrote … “A Mighty Fortress.”
=============

My Prayer Today: Abba Father, … King Jesus, … Precious Spirit … I need Your strength and healing touch today, dear Lord. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled “Our Daily Bread,” distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: