Tuesday, January 09, 2018

January 9, 2018 … Precious Memories

Berry Patch Devotions in 2017 - Day 9 

Devotional Song: … GO TO THIS LINK …   Please take the time to take in a YouTube video with images from the group, Statler Brothers, singing the gospel classic … Precious Memories … Poignantly singing of the memories God gives us to keep us close to Him … especially in times of trial.


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: Joshua 4:6-7 [NLT] … 6 We will use these stones to build a memorial. In the future your children will ask you, ‘What do these stones mean?’ 7 Then you can tell them, ‘They remind us that the Jordan River stopped flowing when the Ark of the Lord’s Covenant went across.’ These stones will stand as a memorial among the people of Israel forever.” 
… An altar to remember what God had done for His people.
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: Joshua 3:14-4:7 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… After God leads His people over the Jordan river, Joshua orders a stone altar built to remind the people what happened as God brought His people into the Promised Land as The Lord had promised. 
=============

Reference Passage : … Proverbs 3:5-6 [NLT] … 5  Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. 6 Seek his will in all you do, and He will show you which path to take. 
… Doing all we can to remember our Lord’s goodness and mercy and grace.

Reference Passage : … Acts 1:8 [NLT] … 8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere—in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” 
… When Jesus was raised into Heaven His promise was of the Holy Spirit to help His faithful remember Him and to be led by Him into witness to Christ’s glory.

Reference Passage : … 2 Corinthians 12:9 [NLT] … 9 Each time He said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. 
… Paul needed a painful thorn in the flesh to remind him continually of God’s grace.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Amy Peterson, wrote of things in her life, especially in trying times which helped her remember the grace of God. The ODB author wrote: Some mornings when I go online, Facebook shows me “memories”—things I’ve posted on that day in previous years. These memories, such as photos from my brother’s wedding or a video of my daughter playing with my grandmother, usually make me smile. But sometimes they have a more profound emotional effect. When I see a note about a visit to my brother-in-law during his chemotherapy or a picture of the staples across my mother’s scalp after her brain surgery three years ago, I am reminded of God’s faithful presence during difficult circumstances. These Facebook memories nudge me towards prayer and gratitude. 
All of us are prone to forget the things God has done for us. We need reminders. 

That’s true, isn’t it? We do have a tendency - a very human tendency - especially in times of trouble or pain, to forget what God has done and what promises He has given us as He leads us into His promised land and our glory.

 Knowing this, Joshua, had the 12 tribes erect a special alter of stones (see photo and the highlight passage) to help anyone who saw the alter to remember what had happened as God parted the Jordan river at flood stage and led His people into His promised land. Perhaps you have life remembrances to help you to hold onto the trust we need when things go bad in our lives. Maybe you have family pictures or some momentums to remind your of precious memories of our Lord and His faithfulness. 

The Statler Brothers sing about precious memories which help us look back at God’s grace and mercy so that we can move forward toward His promises of glory and be the witnesses He calls us to be (see Acts 1:8). And I hope that we all have some altar of purpose to help us remember that our Lord will always be there to lead us into His promised land no matter how difficult life becomes.

 And really that’s why I come here everyday to be in God’s word and to remember that my anchor of faith is attached to my Lord, … my ROCK of promise.

=============
My THANKFULNESS: … Oh Lord, Jesus, everyday I’m surrounded by altars of remembrance for what You’ve done in my life.
=============

My Prayer Today: Abba Father, … King Jesus, … Precious Spirit … May I remember You today and hold on, with faith and trust, to Your promises. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled “Our Daily Bread,” distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: