Sunday, December 06, 2020

Dec 6, 2020 … Loving Him = Obeying Him

Berry Patch Devotions in 2020 - Day 341 


Devotional Song: ... GO TO THIS LINK ...    Please take the time to take in song and lyrics from the group The Gettys singing … Speak O Lord …  poignantly singing of how we show our love to God when we’re obedient to His word. 



==============

Highlight Passage:   1John 5:2-3 [ESV] ... 

By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey His commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome.  

  Those who obey the word of God are the ones who truly love the Lord. 

=============  

Highlight Passage [Context]: …  1John 5:1-6  [ESV] …  USE THIS LINK … 

… When we obey God, we show our love for Him and overcome the temptations of the world. 

==============        


Reference Passage: … Psalm 119:9-11 [ESV] … USE THIS LINK  

  We can - and will - avoid disobedience to God by storing up in our minds and following God’s word.  


Reference Passage: … Luke 6:46 [ESV] … 

46 “Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do what I tell you?  

  If Jesus is truly our LORD, we will do what He says. 


Reference Passage: … John 14:23-24 [ESV] …

23 Jesus …, “If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. 24 Whoever does not love me does not keep my words. And the word that you hear is not mine but the Father's who sent me. 

  Jesus clearly tells His disciples in the upper room that only those who are obedient to His word (i.e., His commandments) are the ones who love Him and are loved by the Father. 


Reference Passage: … Romans 12:1-2 [ESV] … USE THIS LINK  </b>

  God, thru Paul, teaches Christians that we only become living sacrifices to our Lord and have our minds transformed to follow God’s will when we obey His word. 


Reference Passage: … James 1:22 [ESV] …  

22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.   

  Jesus’ brother James teaches that Christians become doers of God’s word.  


My Devotional JournalToday's Our Daily Bread author, Winn Collier, AT THIS LINK tells of how easy it was to love his Aunt Betty, who spoiled him with gifts; … but so much more difficult to show his love for his parents who demanded obedience and discipline. 


And that’s the way it is with our relationship with Jesus, isn’t it?  And His disciples found that to be true when they learned that the only way to follow the Lord and live in accord with His will was to show their love for Him by being obedient to His word [see Luke 6 and John 14 above].  That’s why you find me tuning in to God’s Spirit each day, transforming my mind to be a living sacrifice for my Lord (see Romans 12:1-2) by saturating my heart each day and doing what The Gettys sing about in the linked song … i.e., by learning and obeying God’s truth.  


And I pray we all show our love for our Lord today by being obedient to His word. 


My THANKFULNESS: ... Oh Abba Father, ... thank You, Lord, … for giving me Your word to help me lovingly and obediently follow You today.  

My Prayer Today: Oh Abba Father, ... King Jesus, ... I pray that all reading here will join me, to follow King Jesus … today and tomorrow …  by being obedient to His word. … Amen


=============

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled “Our Daily Bread,” distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: