Thursday, March 19, 2020

March 19, 2020 … Following God’s Truth

Berry Patch Devotions in 2019 - Day 79

Devotional Song: ... GO TO THIS LINK ...  Please take the time to take in song and lyrics from The Gettys singing Speak, O Lord … poignantly singing of how just dwell in God’s word to be able to follow His will and His way thru life.

"Tsundoku" => Books to Read

=============
Highlight Verse[s]: Joshua 1:8 [ESV] ... USE THIS LINK …   8 This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.  
… God’s promise, to Joshua and all believers, that we can only succeed in following His will if we follow and stay in tune with God’s truth (i.e., His word).
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: Joshua 1:1-9 [ESV] ... USE THIS LINK ...
… God’s encouragement and guidance to help him succeed in the task of leading God’s people into the promised land.
==============

Reference Passage : … Psalm 1:1-2 [ESV] … 1  Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; 2  but his delight is in the law of the Lord and on His law he meditates day and night. 
… God’s promise that He, The Lord, will bless the believer who meditates on God’s word … day and night.

Reference Passage : … Psalm 119:9-11 [ESV] … USE THIS LINK
… If we are to avoid sin in our lives, we must store up God’s word in our hearts/minds.

Reference Passage : … Psalm 119:105 [ESV] … 105  Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. 
 … God’s word is His perfect “GPS” (God’s Positioning System) for life.

Reference Passage : … 2Timothy 3:16-17 [ESV] … 16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work. 
… God’s promise that His word will lead us into righteousness and equip us to carry our His work in this world.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Lisa M Samra, uses an illustration of books waiting to be read to illustrate what should be the goal of all Christians, … to read, meditate on, and follow God’s word in life. … The ODB author wrote: Tsundoku. It’s the word I’ve always needed! A Japanese term, it refers to the stack of books on a bedside table waiting to be read. [See Photo] Books offer the potential for learning or an escape to a different time or place, and I long for the delights and insights found within their pages. So, the stack remains. 

We all, as fellow followers of God’s will and His way, likely have a stack of books to read, maybe on a bedside table or desk, waiting to be read, … don’t we? I do; … but I’m a slow reader and it’s likely going to be a long time before I get to read some of those books. But the main reason that stack of books will not be read soon is the reality that God’s word calls to me EVERY DAY … for me to dwell in God’s word so that God can speak to me, as Kristyn Getty sings in the linked song, giving me the guidance I need each day to follow God’s will and His way from meditating on His truth.

So, any reader here with me will find me, any given morning, starting my day - and even dwelling each day - in God’s word as those Scriptures above challenge and charge me to do. God’s word is my compass and my “GPS.” It’s THE way I’m able to follow God’s will and seek out His way in my life. And I pray it is that for you as well.

=============
My THANKFULNESS: ... Oh Abba Father, ... thank You, Lord, … for showing me the way to follow You in/from Your word.
=============

My Prayer Today: Oh Abba Father, ... King Jesus, ... I pray, Lord, that all reading here will join me to do what God encouraged Joshua to do (see Joshua 1:8) so that we can find God’s will and be successful in following Him. Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled “Our Daily Bread,” distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.</ span>

No comments: