Tuesday, November 09, 2021

November 9, 2021 … Real-deal Disciples? …

Berry Patch Devotions in 2021 - Day 313 


Devotional Song: ... GO TO THIS LINK ...   Please take the time to take in a song and lyrics from Clay Crosse, Bob Carlisle, and Bebe Winans singing … I Will Follow Christ… powerfully singing of how we, as true disciples of Christ must follow HIM, … not matter what comes!! 


Authentic Van Gogh discovered hidden in an attic ... 


==============

Highlight Passage: … John 15:5  [NLT] …   

“Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing.   

… Jesus teaches his inner core of Disciples that they must be connected and abide in Him to be real disciples of His.         

===============

Highlight Passage [Context]: …  John 15:1-8 [NLT] …  USE THIS LINK … 

… Jesus shows his inner Disciples what the demands and the results of being a true disciple of His.          

==========                                              .  


Reference Passage: … Luke 9:23 [NLT] …   

23 Then He said to the crowd, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must give up your own way, take up your cross daily, and follow me.

… Jesus teaches His many disciples what it takes to be a true disciple of His.   


Reference Passage: … John 8:31-32 [NLT] …   

31 Jesus said to the people who believed in Him, “You are truly my disciples if you remain faithful to my teachings. 32 And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

… Jesus teaches the outcome of being a real-deal disciple of His.  


Reference Passage: …  Romans 7:14-25 [NLT] …  USE THIS LINK … 

… Paul, even in his days as a mature disciple of Christ, doubt his own sincerity and ability to follow Christ faithfully.  Read the passage and realize that we’re not alone in questioning our discipleship at time. 


Reference Passage:  …  Romans 8 [NLT] …  USE THIS LINK … 

… Meditate on Romans 8 and see that Paul also recognized the truth of the freedom we find in being a disciple of Christ.     

   

My Devotional JournalToday's Our Daily Bread author, Mike Wittmer, AT THIS LINK  writes about the discovery of an authentic Van Gogh painting (see photo) which had been hidden in an attic for years because the owner thought it was a forgery.   


Sometimes we, who call ourselves “CHRISTiANS,” can think of ourselves as forgeries when we discern recurring sinful patterns in our lives.  Certainly the Apostle Paul did in the Romans 7 passage cited above. But when Paul realized the truth of Romans 8, he recognized that he was truly following Christ as the Lord Himself taught  (see Luke 9:23 and John 8:31).  


What about you, my fellow Christian reader?  Well, … I pray that all reading here with me, even if we doubt our true discipleship at times, … are taking up a “Romans 8” attitude and pursuit of our Lord, realizing that it’s truly a challenge in this troubled times to do what the linked song calls us toward today.  


But how about it?  Let’s just do it anyway!!               


My THANKFULNESS: ... Oh, Abba Father, thank You, King Jesus, … calling and empowering me to be Your disciple.       

My Prayer Today: Oh Abba Father, ... King Jesus, ... . I pray that all reading here will join me, …  to recognize that abiding in You, Lord, sets us free from the shackles of selfishness and sin.   … Amen


=============

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled “Our Daily Bread,” distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: