Saturday, January 23, 2021

Jan 23, 2021 … Music To His Ears

Berry Patch Devotions in 2020 - Day 23 


Devotional Song: ... GO TO THIS LINK ...   Please take the time to take in song and lyrics from the group Hillsong singing … Should To the Lord  powerfully singing of taking our emotions, as raw as they might be, to the Lord in song. 


==============

Highlight Passage:   Psalm 6:6 [ESV] ... 

I am weary with my moaning; every night I flood my bed with tears; I drench my couch with my weeping. 

  David sings out to God in a moment of anguish and tears.   

=============  

Highlight Passage [Context]: …  Psalm 6 [ESV] …  USE THIS LINK … 

… David sings of his need for God’s mercy in his anguish.  

==============            


Reference Passage: … Psalm 71:1-3 [ESV] ... USE THIS LINK ... 

  The Psalmist sings of taking refuge in The Lord.   


Reference Passage: … Psalm 116:1-2 [ESV] ... USE THIS LINK ... 

  The Psalmist sings his prayer to God, knowing that the Lord bends down to hear him. 


Reference Passage: … Ephesians 5:19 [ESV] … 

19 … addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart, …  

  Paul knew that we would be more open and honest with one another if we sang out our emotions to God.   


Reference Passage: … Colossians 3:16 [ESV] …

16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. 

… Again Paul recognized the power of singing and song to express our real emotions to one another and to God. 


My Devotional JournalToday's Our Daily Bread author, Bill Crowder, AT THIS LINK, quotes Victor Hugo, the 19th century author of the book, Les Miserables, which was more recently made into a powerful musical, … Hugo stating, Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”


And we read in the Psalms, over and over, don’t we, … of psalmists bringing their anguish, their praises, their joys, … all variety of emotions, … to God in song (see Psalms quoted above)?  And the Apostle Paul, also in the NT (see quotes from Eph 5 and Col 3), recognized the importance of God’s people coming together and using music and song to bring their emotions to God.  And we do that, now, … with pertinence and power, … in our worship services on God’s day every Sunday, don’t we?  … Well, I believe at least we should !! 


And any reader here, following my journal entries day-by-day, will notice that I include a song link every day; … because Godly music in song means so much to my daily morning quiet times.  I pray that it does for you too.  Because there’s nothing like a poignant or powerful Christian song to quiet my anxieties or bring me closer to God each morning.  And I know that my Lord hears, and likely even smiles, when He hears me bringing my feelings to Him in song to start my day.  


My THANKFULNESS: ... Oh Abba Father, ... thank You, Lord, … for felling my emotions when I sing along with the songs You give me each morning to start my day.  

My Prayer Today: Oh Abba Father, ... King Jesus, ... I pray that all reading here will join me, … to use music and song to bring us closer to Your throne of grace.    … Amen


=============

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled “Our Daily Bread,” distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: