Thursday, August 12, 2021

August 12, 2021 … Listening Again Today …

Berry Patch Devotions in 2021 - Day 224 


Devotional Song: ... GO TO THIS LINK ...   Please take the time to take in song and lyrics from the group - The Gettys - singing  Speak O Lord … Poignantly singing of how we Christians need to listen, thru God’s word, for God’s will and His way. 


Listening to God thru His word ... 
 

==============

Highlight Passage:  Psalm 85:8 [NLT] …  

I listen carefully to what God the Lord is saying, for He speaks peace to His faithful people. But let them not return to their foolish ways.  

God, thru the Psalmist, charges God’s people to listen to hear God leading us away from our foolish/sinful ways.           

=============  

Highlight Passage [Context]: …  Psalm 85  [NLT] …  USE THIS LINK … 

  The Psalmist shows that the God of our salvation will pour out His blessing on those who listen to Him and follow His ways.         

==============                             


Reference Passage: … Psalm 25:4-6 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK … 

… God, thru King David’s song, shows that we must listen to and follow God’s way, so that our Lord can lead us to follow The Lord to glory. 


Reference Passage:  John 10:16 [NLT] …  

16 I have other sheep, too, that are not in this sheepfold. I must bring them also. They will listen to my voice, and there will be one flock with one Shepherd. 

Jesus, comparing Himself to a Good Shepherd, declares that those in His flock who listen to Him are the ones who know Him as their Shepherd and Lord.  


Reference Passage: … Romans 10:17 [NLT] … 

17 So faith comes from hearing, that is, hearing the Good News about Christ [i.e., God’s word]. 

… We gain our faith by hearing God, thru His word, and then following His will and His ways.    


Reference Passage</u>: … James 1:22 [NLT] … 

22 But don’t just listen to God’s word. You must do what it says. Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves.  

… God, thru James, charges us to not only listen to God thru His word, but them to follow what we “hear.”      

      

My Devotional JournalToday's Our Daily Bread author, James Banks, AT THIS LINK   … used the story of the S.O.S. message from the Titanic, which was heard by radio operator on the RMS Carpathia, a ship in the area. And because that radio-operator, who was about to go to bed, was listening, over 700 lives were saved by the Carpathia, which responded to the radio call from the Titanic. 

  

And this story illustrates, as the ODB entry makes the point, that LISTENING MATTERS; because, when we listen to God thru His word, and then, as James teaches (see James 1:22), we become doers of the word, our God can - AND WILL - show us HIS way and HIS will for us to follow Him all the way to glory.  The question is … are we listening?  

And that’s why you find me here every morning, … tuned in to listen to the one place I KNOW I can hear my God speaking to me, … showing me His will and His way for me to follow.  And as I’ve often compared, God’s word is His perfectly pre-programmed “GPS” (i.e., “God’s Positioning System”); and when I’m listening to it - and then following it faithfully - I know that God will show me His will and His ways.  All I have to do is listen and follow it.  

My THANKFULNESS: ... Oh, Abba Father, thank You, King Jesus, … for speaking to me every day thru Your word.       

My Prayer Today: Oh Abba Father, ... King Jesus, ... . I pray that all reading here will join me, …  to listen to and use God’s word as our “GPS” in life.   … Amen 


=============

Blogger Note: Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled “Our Daily Bread,” distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: